Home » Eta Kappa Nu
Category Archives: Eta Kappa Nu
The ceremony will take place on Friday, December 2nd, at the main UWF campus in Pensacola. As many as nineteen members will take part in the ritual to be held within the commons at the Nautilus Chamber. Inductees should arrive prior to 6:00 pm to prepare to take part in the ritual. All attendees should RSVP with their guests to ensure adequate food and refreshments can be provided. Additional information to follow regarding the ritual.
As many of you may know, HKN has merged with IEEE to become IEEE-HKN. Specifically, HKN is officially the honor society of IEEE. With this merger, HKN members will have increased benefits. New members receive a one year complementary membership into the national IEEE organzation and membership into the local, professional IEEE organization. Website: http://ewh.ieee.org/r3/nwflorida/
In recent developments, we have decided to partner with the IEEE student group located at the REEF. We will still be a separate organization and administratively operate independently, but some members and officers will be part of both organizations. Our goal is to increase membership, start a Pensacola branch of IEEE, and provide each other with support and resources in order to have an impact on UWF students and the Northwest Florida community.
The next meeting of the UWF AI Research Group will be on Monday, March 7, at 5:00 PM in the AI Lab (4/148), followed by a social gathering and pizza around 5:45 pm in the SSE courtyard.
This meeting will be to learn about AI course and research opportunities at UWF and the group’s current projects. After the meeting, the group will head out to the SSE courtyard for pizza and socialization. Please see the AI Group’s web site http://uwf.edu/computerscience/ai/ or attached flyer for more info.
Students interested in AI are encouraged to attend and consider getting involved with the group’s activities. Please let Dr. Eman El-Sheikh (e e l s h e i k h @ u w f . e d u) if you are planning to attend so that we get an accurate count for pizza and soda.
Topic: Our Energy Future
By Brett Luebke, Assistant to the President and CEO of Gulf Power
Monday March 7 at 4:00-5:00 pm
Building 4, Room 248
Employers with technology-related internship, co-op and employment opportunities will be present at the 5th annual Tech Connection, March 9, 3:00-5:00 pm at the UWF REEF Campus in Shalimar. Open to all UWF students and alumni. To view attending employers, login to JasonQuest. Also, students and alumni should upload their resume to JasonQuest in order for them to be viewed by employers. Be sure to have your resume reviewed by Career Services.
For more information contact:
Ester Molder, e m o l d e r @ u w f . e d u
Look under the Meeting Minutes tab at the February 9th, 2011 link!
I just wanted to remind everyone about the meeting tomorrow, Wednesday February 9th at 9am in the distance learning room. I have the agenda below. REEF members will have access to the meeting from their side. Meeting will be no longer than an hour because the next class will be at 10am.
- Plan the induction ceremony. We’ll try to have it at the beginning of April.
- Discuss ways to use the donation.
- I have already sent an email to eligible students to join HKN. They just need to know more about HKN and how to apply. Should we do everything by email or hold an information session?
- Pick officers for 2011. If you want to be an officer, show up or send me an email if you haven’t done so already. The open positions are Vice President and Recording Secretary. The position of Treasurer and Corresponding Secretary will be vacated after spring so those positions can be filled as well to allow for proper changeover.
- Any website suggestions? Or anything that needs to be added/deleted? www.uwf.edu/hkn
- Any ideas for chapter events? Socials, field trips, speakers, campus events, etc.
- If we have an idea that needs funding, SGA allows student organizations to apply for grants.
- Also, I would like to throw out the possibility of applying for a budget through SGA next year. Budget proposals are usually made at the beginning of each calendar year and we have to meet certain requirements to be eligible for funding.
- Tutoring local high school students: I mentioned this last year as an opportunity for members and as of right now we are on board with one of the schools.