Topic: Apple: Technology Trends in Education
Speaker: Dave Lockwood, Account Executive, Apple Inc.
Open for all UWF students, staff, and faculty
Thursday, October 28, 2010
12:00 to 12:45
SSE Building – Room 348
Lecture to cover ‘Space Policy, JFK and Space Exploration’
The Florida Institute for Human and Machine Cognition will host a public lecture by John Logsdon on Oct. 27, at the IHMC, 40 South Alcaniz Street.
Logsdon’s topic for the event will be “Space Policy, JFK, and Space Exploration.”
A reception will begin at 5:30 p.m., and the lecture will begin at 6 p.m. Hors d’oeuvres and wine will be served.
Seating for the event is limited.
Those planning to attend should e-mail, firstname.lastname@example.org or call 202-4462.
Past IHMC lectures can be viewed at http://www.youtube.com/theIHMC.
What: 2010 Jerry Maygarden Distinguished Lecture.
Who: Gen. Charles Horner, Retired USAF General
When: Tuesday, November 9th, 2010: 7:30pm
Where: Music Hall, Center for Fine and Performance Arts
Topic: The Military and the Media: Events, relationships, and why we act the way we do
General Charles Horner, a member of the UWF Board of Trustees, is retired from the United States Air Force as well as a business consultant and author. During his career with the U.S. Air Force, he was a commander of Two Wings, Two Air Divisions, The Air Defense Weapons Center at Tyndall AFB, 9th Air Force, and the U.S. Space Command. Gen. Horner currently lectures at military and national professional education institutions across the country, including the National Defense University, West Point, and the Air Force Academy. He received his Bachelor’s degree from the University of Iowa in 1958 and his Master’s degree in Business Administration from the College of William and Mary in 1972, as well as graduating from the Armed Forces Staff College and the National War College. Additionally, he co-wrote Every Man a Tiger with Tom Clancy.
General Horner’s substantial experience with embedded media in war zones will inform his lecture “The Military and the Media: Events, relationships, and why we act the way we do.”
This event is open to the public. All UWF students, staff and faculty are encouraged to attend.
Where: Best Western Hotel Conference Room – 8697 Navarre Parkway
When: Saturday, November 6, 2010 @ 12 noon
Dress Attire: Business Casual
- Remember, you must attend to be a member
- Friends and family are invited
- Lunch will be served buffet style – vendor: Buffalo Wild Wings & Quiznos
Initiation Requirements Checklist
- Read through the History of Eta Kappa Nu Booklet
- Fill out a Member application form and either email it by clicking on the top right hand button on the document or print the form, complete it and drop it off to Diana Feltner in Bldg 4, Rm 223 on the Pensacola campus or with Ester Molder at the REEF.
- Pay a one-time $45 membership fee. This fee covers the costs of your certificate, an HKN surcharge, and a three year subscription to THE BRIDGE magazine
- Make checks made payable to: Lambda Alpha Chapter of Eta Kappa Nu
- You can drop off your payment either to Diana Feltner at the Pensacola campus or to Lesta Hill at the REEF.
- A short general meeting and election meeting will follow the ceremony – details to follow
- Send in all documents and fees by October 15, 2010 to ensure arrival of your certificate by the induction ceremony date
The Gulf Power Foundation has approved a $200,000 grant to UWF to help equip its Electrical Engineering “Power Lab” as well as fund the curriculum.
Gulf Power Company also provided consultation and direction for the design of the state-of-the-art Power Lab which will include three phase circuits, transformers, motors and generators, transmission line models, unbalanced system operations, fault analysis, system protection and metering.
The university is looking for volunteers to make this year’s Total Recall event as successful as years past. This year’s competition day will be Oct. 23 at the UWF Field House. There are many opportunities to volunteer at this event.
- Judges for the Technical Notebooks and Websites – Judging Held Oct. 21 from 8 a.m. to noon at Gulf Power’s Corporate Office on Bayfront Parkway.
Volunteers on Game Day, Oct. 23:
- Game Referees
- Playing Field Pit Crew
- Oral Presentation Judges
- Table Display Judges
- Spirit and Sportsmanship Judges
UWF asks that all volunteers report at 8 a.m. to the Field House for training Oct. 23. The Referee and Pit Crew assignments will last through the last round of play until 3:30 p.m. The judging positions should end by noon, with the need for a few volunteer judges to remain into the afternoon. Information: http://uwf.edu/ece/emeraldcoastbest/
Speaker: Mr. Michael Viron, Manager of IT Solutions, KAMedData, Inc
Topic: “Security in the Enterprise: Electronic, Physical, and Policy”
Wednesday, October 6, 2010, 5:00 p.m.
Building 4, Room 406
Refreshments will be served